Arduino

 
Home . . Rockets
I have been playing around with the arduino uno, micro, and mini. 
I don't always get my projects finished but here are some that I've been working on.

 

One of my projects that I did actually finish was a 2.4 GHz Remote Control (RC) transmitter and receiver. I had cobbled some old toy airplane parts to make an air boat for my boy and when the receiver on it failed, I decided to make one of my own.
I did some research and found the info I needed and ordered some parts on ebay.com  I used a NRF24L01 transceiver that sells for a buck on ebay.  For the transmitter, I figured that I needed to get more power so I used the extended range transceiver also from ebay. When I thought I had something that would work, I unhooked the receiver on one of my RC cars and put in my home made one.  It worked!  But the car was too fast for my boy to drive so I programmed in Triple Rates.  20%, 60%, and 100%.  It worked well enough that I wanted to test it on a plane, so I had a junky one that I made and would be OK if I crashed it and I put the receiver on it.  The range was not as good as the Orange RX one that I had been using but it would work as a park flyer.  If I wanted to increase the range, I could probably put on an extended range transceiver on the receiving end as well.  I finally was done with the preliminary testing and was ready to make a control for the boat.  I was wanting to use a single cell lipo battery for the power source so I had to use a 8 MHz arduino mini.  I also did not have a esc for two motors so I ordered a cheap dual H bridge board off ebay. On the transmitter, I had to put in mixing for when I use it on the boat.  It all worked pretty well unless there is too much wind.  It wants to "weather vane" with the wind and is hard to control the direction.
The transmitter has Digital Trims, regular or delta mix, triple rates, and servo reversing.  I started to program an OLED screen so that I could even do model memory for up to 20 models... But the screen refresh was taking up to much scan time and messing up the 20 ms time for sending signals to the RC. So that idea is still on the back burner.  Maybe if I get the time I would add in a second processor just to run the screen...


This is the regular and the extended range transceivers.

Here is the test rig in a 1/10 RC car

I tried it out on a junky old plane next. You can see that I have switched to an arduino mini.  I used a seperate electronic mixer at the time because I did not have my mixing code written yet.

I then built the boat.  I used an h bridge to control the motors


Here is the boat in action on youtube.com

 

Here is another one I did.  It is a robotic arm made out of 3D printed parts and uses hobby servos as motors.  I downloaded the basics of it from thingiverse.com and modified it to my liking.  I made a Waldo type of system where you move the 'teaching' robot arm and the other one follows your movements.  You then press a button to store the location to the arduino.  After you have several locations stored you can replay the sequence.  Here are a couple youtube videos.  Using Waldo. Running program.

Another project that I worked on last fall was to make a Christmas light display go along with music.  So me, being frugal, decided to make one myself.  I found a project that someone else had done that used a PC program called Vixen.  It controls the music and lights.  It sends out commands serially to light controllers. So I downloaded the code that this other guy had worked on and made it work for my application.  I am using an Arduino Uno because it has a virtual serial port and it is cheap. (Under $5 on ebay)  The Uno could make a Christmas light board with 16 relays that I could wire in to 16 strands of lights.  I could make more of these boards to make a huge display, but I never got the first one hooked up so....maybe this year I will do it.  
The hardest part for me was to decide where I wanted to put my lights that I could turn them on and off with the music and make it look respectable.  Since this will be a public display, I don't want it to look like junk.  Starting out with only 16 different lights, I struggled to keep it interesting for the duration of the song.  And for my first time doing one, I wanted to keep it simple so I wouldn't peter out before it was all done... You see, I have an issue with completing th
 
 
 
 


 
 
 
 
 

All Rights Reserved
  Web page administered by